Montauban: Victor Bertuot [...] A Roc-Amadour au Magasin de Marie, . First Edition. 8vo; pp. , ix, , 89; sepia-tinted frontispiece, 8 plates, 3 tinted; additional text illustrations throughout; contemporary calf-backed marbled boards, spine in six compartments, black gilt-lettered morocco spine label, marbled endpapers. Extremities and spine bands rubbed, leather rather dry; interior fine.
Pilgrim's guide to the newly restored commune of Rocamadour, situated in the Lot region of southwestern France. The village and its Chaplle de Notre Dame (constructed in 1479) is today a UNESCO heritage site as part of the St. James' Way pilgrimmage route. The site first gained popularity as a pilgrim destination during the Middle Ages, but by the early 19th century was in ruins, first with the arrival of the Huguenots in the 16th century and pillaged again during the French Revolution. Not until the mid-19th century were funds, raised by the bishops of Cahors, used to restore the site. This guidebook would have been produced shortly after the restoration, and provides handsomely illustrated descriptions of the village, the numerous Chapelles, and surviving relics. Preface dated 1862; attributed to the abbé Cheval by the BNF.
OCLC locates 5 copies in North America as of February, 2015. Item #683